Upgrade from the regular taco these delicious pork carnitas!
Tacos are fun, but it's time to get a little more creative in the kitchen! With the cilantro tomatillo sauce as a perfect garnish for this dish, these pork carnitas are a great step up from a regular taco. Your family is going to love them - check out the recipe below!
- 1 pound of pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 2 finely chopped tomatillos
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 corn tortillas
- Cut pork into one inch cubes and season them with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet on Dutch oven.
- Add pork, onions, garlic powder, chili powder and chipotle chile to the skillet. Saute for 3-5 minutes, or until meat is brown.
- Add water to barely cover pork
- Bring skillet to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to let it simmer for another 45 minutes. or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Combine the chopped tomatillos, tomatoes and cilantro in a small bowl.
- Place an equal proportion of pork on each tortilla. Top with tomatillo salsa to finish!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes