With the start of August comes plenty of back to school planning.
If you've got a little one who has food allergies, is a picky eater, or you just want to have healthy options for your child - check these ideas out! The start of a new school year is prime time to kickstart your child's healthy eating routine. From snacks to full lunches, the following suggestions are particularly good for younger children, as they need a good balance of foods in their diet.
Depending on the age of your children, you may need to prepare the following foods in small proportions. For example, veggies can be cut up and sandwich bread can be cut into fourths.
Each balanced meal should have an entrée, fruit, veggie, and drink. Mix and match from this list to create a meal your child will be happy to eat, not trade away.
*This list is particularly good for children with nut allergies.
- "Ants on a log" with celery, sunflower butter & raisins
- Cream cheese on raisin bread
- Cheese sandwich
- Cottage cheese
- Egg salad sandwich
- Hummus with pretzels or crackers
- Nut-free protein bars
- Pasta salad
- Quinoa and veggie salad
- Roll-ups with sunflower butter and banana
- Sunflower butter and banana sandwich
- Sunflower butter and jelly sandwich
- Turkey/chicken/roast beef roll-ups
- Tuna salad sandwich
- Cherry/grape tomatoes
- Dried fruit
- Melon: watermelon/cantaloupe
- Mixed berries
- Mixed fruit salad
- Bell peppers
- Butternut squash
- Snap peas
- Sweet potato
- Zucchini strips
- Mixed salad greens (romaine, kale, arugula, etc.)
With so many healthy food options, your child will learn to eat right in no time! And a little suggestion - lead by example! Plenty of these options are perfect for your lunch too. Enjoy!